When the Broadswords Sing
A downloadable game
WHEN THE BROADSWORDS SING (WBS) is an OSR micro-RPG that draws on games like Knave and Barbarians of Lemuria to provide a sword-and-sorcery flavored take on the classic dungeon crawl experience.
The game is 6 pages long, fitting on three sheets of paper front-and-back.
- 2-page rules document, laid out to be printed and folded as a tri-fold
- 2 pages of random tables to use during character creation, to create unique characters each time you roll up a new PC (these have been taken from Ben Milton's excellent game Knave)
- 2 pages of tables that can be referenced during play (equipment, wounds, etc)
Key features of the game:
- Simple class-free character creation, allowing for fully-random generation or detailed player choices.
- Background Careers feature heavily, and form the basis of WBS "skill" system.
- A unified core mechanic, 1d20 + Attribute Rating + Applicable Career Bonuses vs Difficulty
- Free-form NOUN + VERB magic system, with optional rules for using classic spell lists.
- Clear conflict rules that support Physical, Social, and even Mental conflicts.
- Simple rules for "Stunts", player driven feats of skill.
- Slot-based encumbrance that integrates spells and equipment.
- Wound rules that make hitting 0 HP painful, but not always automatic death
- Built-in Dungeon Exploration rules
- Gold-for-XP advancement
The game is mostly complete, but I will update it based on feedback and playtest reports that I receive.
The regular version is black background with yellow/white text, and the printer friendly is black text on white.
Thanks and enjoy!
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.